Over 80,000 people flee severe flooding in southwest China

OVERVIEW OF THE FLOODED LOCALE. An aerial photo shows flooded buildings in Rongjiang, in China’s southwest Guizhou province on Tuesday, June 24. Severe flooding in China’s southwestern province of Guizhou has forced more than 80,000 people to flee their homes, Beijing’s state media said on Wednesday, June 25. (Photo courtesy: AFP)

By Agence France-Presse

Flooding in China’s southwest has driven more than 80,000 people from their homes, state media said on Wednesday, June 25, as a collapsed bridge forced the dramatic rescue of a truck driver left dangling over the edge.

China is enduring a summer of extremes, with heat waves scorching wide swathes of the country, while rainstorms pummel other regions.

Climate change—which scientists say is exacerbated by greenhouse gas emissions—is making such weather more frequent and more intense.

Around 80,900 people had been evacuated by Tuesday afternoon (June 24) in the southwestern province of Guizhou, state news agency Xinhua reported.

“It’s very bad this time,” Xiong Xin, a member of a rescue team who was in Rongjiang county on Tuesday, told AFP, describing the flooding as a “once-in-50-years event”.

Images shared with AFP by Xiong showed a row of shops on the first floor of a building submerged, with residents leaning out of second-floor windows.

In Rongjiang, a football field was “submerged under three meters of water”, Xinhua said.

Rescuers pushed boats carrying residents through murky, knee-high water and children waited in a kindergarten as emergency personnel approached them, the footage showed.

One resident in an affected area told Xinhua, “The water rose very quickly. I stayed on the third floor waiting for rescue. By the afternoon, I had been transferred to safety.”

Footage from state broadcaster CCTV showed severe flooding has inundated villages and collapsed a bridge in one mountainous area of the province. A team was also seen preparing a drone to deliver supplies including rice to flood victims.

In a video circulated by local media, truck driver You Guochun recounted his harrowing rescue after he ended up perched over the edge of a broken bridge segment.

He said, “A bridge collapsed entirely in front of me. I was terrified.”

RESCUE OPERATIONS. Rescuers help evacuate residents from a flooded street in Rongjiang, in China’s southwest Guizhou province on Tuesday, June 24. (Photo courtesy: AFP)

Alerts

China’s top economic planning body has allocated 100 million yuan ($13.95 million) for disaster relief in Guizhou, Xinhua said.

Floods have also hit the neighboring Guangxi region, with state media publishing videos of rescuers there carrying residents to safety. Tens of thousands of people were evacuated last week in the central province of Hunan due to heavy rain.

Nearly 70,000 people in southern China were relocated days earlier, after heavy flooding caused by Typhoon Wutip.

Chinese authorities issued the year’s first red alerts last week for mountain torrents in six regions—the most severe warning level in the country’s four-tier system

Some areas in the affected regions were “extremely likely to be hit”, Xinhua reported, with local governments urged to issue timely warnings to residents.

Authorities in Beijing this week issued the second-highest heat warning for the capital on one of its hottest days of the year so far. Last year was China’s hottest on record.

China is the world’s largest greenhouse gas emitter but is also a renewable energy powerhouse, seeking to cut carbon dioxide emissions to net zero by 2060.

Popular

Palace slams attempt against NegOr contractor, vows to dismantle espionage networks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Amid consecutive developments arising from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s revelation of ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood control projects in his 4th...

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...