Over P895-M aid to storm-hit victims distributed by Marcos admin

Photo courtesy of DSWD.

By Brian Campued

The government has provided a total of P895.658 million in aid to the victims of Severe Tropical Storm Kristine and Super Typhoon Leon, Malacañang said Thursday.

Citing data from the National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC), the said relief covers food and non-food items supplied by the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), the Office of Civil Defense (OCD), local government units (LGUs), and non-government organizations.

Kristine battered most of Luzon last week, causing widespread flooding and landslides and displacing millions of people. Leon, currently inside the Philippine area of responsibility, is lashing the extreme Northern Luzon.

Some 211 LGUs have also declared a State of Calamity in their areas.

The NDRRMC reported over 1.89 million families or over 7.49 million individuals affected by the tropical cyclones across the country. Of this number, around 85,536 families are inside evacuation centers, while 87,617 families are outside the temporary shelters.

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. previously ordered concerned government agencies to continue providing necessary assistance to the affected individuals and families.

According to NDRRMC, 213 areas remain submerged, while floodwaters in 614 areas either have subsided or are receding.

Meanwhile, P2.9 billion worth of damages and losses to agriculture were recorded in Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR), Ilocos, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Mimaropa, Bicol, Western Visayas, Eastern Visayas, and SOCCSKSARGEN. 

Damages to infrastructure in CAR, Ilocos, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, MIMAROPA, Bicol, Central Visayas, Northern Mindanao, and SOCCSKSARGEN reached P6.390 billion.

The NDRRMC reported a total of 150,511 damaged houses.

—iro

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...