P133-M worth of medical aid sent to ‘Kristine’-hit areas: DOH

HEALTH RESPONSE. Personnel and medical teams deployed by the Department of Health (DOH) check on health conditions of evacuees in Bicol Region on Thursday (Oct. 24, 2024). On Friday (Oct. 25), DOH Sec. Teodoro Herbosa said his agency has so far provided P133 million worth of medical supplies to areas affected by Severe Tropical Storm Kristine. (Photo courtesy of DOH)

By Ma. Teresa Montemayor | Philippine News Agency

The Department of Health (DOH) has sent out P133 million worth of medical and public health emergency supplies, water sanitation equipment, and hygiene kits in areas hit hardest by Severe Tropical Storm Kristine (international name: Trami).

Health Secretary Teodoro Herbosa on Friday said teams deployed from its regional offices and hospitals found that the highest illness reported is respiratory infection.

“Mr. President, for the human resources. We’ve actually deployed our teams from the regional offices and hospitals, so they’re actually there,” Herbosa said during a situation briefing with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. in Malacañang.

The medical teams distributed face masks and appropriate medicine while concerned local government units provided modular tents per family to contain the spread of infection, the DOH chief added.

He also reported that there were several barangay health stations and hospitals damaged due to the weather disturbance.

“Two big hospitals in Bicol—Bicol Medical Center and Bicol Regional Medical Center in Albay, the one in Naga and one in Albay—are both functional, although we lost power and we also lost damage to the internet server of our vehicle Medical Center. But the hospitals are functioning,” Herbosa said.

“We have a couple of hospitals that are functional in Batangas, but cannot be accessed because of floods,” he added.

Meanwhile, about P6.8 million has been allocated for nutrition and P1.8 million for psychosocial support of the storm victims.

Earlier, the DOH has activated Code Blue—the highest health emergency response to disaster—in Cagayan Valley, Bicol Region, and Ilocos Region.

The agency maintains Code White in the National Capital Region, Central Luzon, MIMAROPA, Western Visayas and the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao.

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...