P6.8-M worth of ‘shabu’ seized in northern Negros

BACOLOD CITY — About 593.5 grams of “shabu” with an estimated value of PHP6.825 million were seized by operatives of San Carlos City Police Station in Negros Occidental in a buy-bust before midnight on Tuesday.

Suspect Christian Unabia, 29, a “habal-habal” driver, was arrested during the operation around 11:30 p.m. at Sitio Juan-ong, Barangay Palampas of the northern Negros city.

The illegal drugs were confiscated from Unabia’s possession along with PHP24,960 in cash and drug paraphernalia as well as the PHP30,000 marked money.

The operation was conducted by the station’s anti-drug team led by officer-in-charge Supt. D’ Artagnan Katalbas Jr., with personnel of 605th Maneuver Company and Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency-6.

Unabia, detained at the police station, is facing charges for violation of Section 5 (sale of dangerous drugs) and Section 11 (possession of dangerous drugs) of Republic Act 9165 or Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002.

Senior Superintendent Rodolfo Castil, director of Negros Occidental Police Provincial Office, lauded the successful anti-drug operation of San Carlos City Police Station.

“This accomplishment is a simple way of showing gratitude to President Rodrigo Roa Duterte for our salary increase,” Castil said in a press statement on Wednesday.

Tuesday’s major drug haul in San Carlos City followed the operation last January 7 which yielded PHP150,000 in illegal drugs and resulted to the arrest of 14 persons in buy-bust conduct by joint operatives in Barangay 6.

A joint team of Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency, San Carlos City Police Station, and Regional Mobile Force Battalion-6 then swooped down on two houses reportedly being used as drug dens.

In August last year, the San Carlos police also arrested two local residents who yielded PHP2.46 million in shabu during a buy-bust operation.
The suspects were identified as Hanjie Alquiza, 36, of Barangay Punao, and Charlemagne Mavida, 24, of Caballero Extension, Barangay 2, who were charged before the City Prosecutor’s Office, according to the police. (PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...