Pag-asa reef damaged by grounded Chinese ship—WPS task force

Barangay Pag-asa Island, Kalayaan town, West Philippine Sea. (Photo by Philippine Navy)

By Priam Nepomuceno | Philippine News Agency

Coral reefs in Pag-asa Reef 1 have sustained environmental damage due to the grounding of a Chinese ship there last month, the National Task Force for the West Philippine Sea (NTF-WPS) said Monday.

In a statement expressing concern over the incident, NTF-WPS said the Chinese vessel with bow number 16868 remained grounded in the area for nearly three hours before it managed to free itself without assistance.

NTF-WPS said, “It was later [escorted] out of the area by the China Coast Guard (CCG) and two other Chinese vessels.”

The task force added, “While it did not run aground directly on the coral reef, the vessel’s anchoring activity caused significant damage to the surrounding reef area.”

Reef 1 lies 2.6 km. east of Pag-asa Island. NTF-WPS said the incident occurred on June 7 amid heightened activity by Chinese maritime militia and CCG vessels within Pag-asa Island’s territorial sea, underscoring persistent operational concerns in the area.

The task force said, “The vigilance of our coastal communities, as demonstrated by the timely report from a local fisherfolk, remains vital in safeguarding our marine resources. Their lived experience at sea reflects not only environmental risks but also daily threats to their safety, livelihood, and dignity.”

In line with this, NTF-WPS supports the Palawan Council for Sustainable Development’s recommendations on reef rehabilitation and the enforcement of environmental accountability under Philippine law.

The task force concluded, “We remain committed to safeguarding the West Philippine Sea, preserving our marine ecosystems, and upholding the well-being of the communities that depend on them.” (PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...