Palace confident disinflation will continue as it eases to 2.4%

By Azer Parrocha/Philippine News Agency

MANILA — Malacañang expressed confidence that disinflation will continue after the country’s inflation rate further eased to a 31-month low at 2.4 percent in July.

“Inflation continues to drop. The Palace welcomes this positive development with inflation further easing to 2.4 percent in July this year,” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a statement on Tuesday.

“We are confident that disinflation will continue as we remain on guard in monitoring the prices of basic goods and commodities,” he added.

Citing the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), Panelo attributed the downtrend of inflation in July 2019 to lower prices of food and non-alcoholic beverages; housing, water, electricity, gas, and other fuels; and transport.

“This is indicative of the hard work and strong political will of the President and our economic managers in reining in on the soaring prices of basic goods and services,” Panelo said.

Panelo, meanwhile, assured that the Duterte administration will continue to implement macroeconomic policies which will have a positive impact that can be “felt” by all Filipinos.

PSA Undersecretary Claire Dennis Mapa, in a press briefing, said he expects inflation to continue to go down or at least stabilize at this number in the coming months.

According to the PSA, inflation in June 2019 was higher at 2.7 percent and in July 2018 at 5.7 percent.

This brings the year-to-date inflation for 2019 to 3.3 percent.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...