Palace denies PRRD was rushed to Cardinal Santos hospital

By Azer Parrocha/Philippine News Agency

President Rodrigo R. Duterte casts his vote in Daniel R. Aguinaldo National High School in Davao City during midterm polls on May 13, 2019. (Presidential photo)

MANILA — Malacañang on Sunday denied rumors that President Rodrigo R. Duterte was rushed to the Cardinal Santos Medical Center in San Juan after allegedly suffering from cardiac arrest.

“He should probably be in his quarters and resting, like what I will do in a few minutes,” Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea said in a message to reporters.

Duterte was last seen during the mid-term elections, casting his vote at the Daniel R. Aguinaldo National High School in Davao City on May 13.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo also dismissed the cardiac arrest rumors, explaining that Duterte is in his residence in the Palace, signing papers.

“There is no truth to the rumor circulating that President Rodrigo Roa Duterte is confined in Cardinal Santos Medical Center in San Juan,” Panelo said.

“The President is in his residence at the Palace, signing papers. I just talked to him. He is neither confirming nor denying that he went to the hospital,” he added.

Presidential Security Group (PSG) spokesperson, Capt. Zeerah Blanche Lucrecia, also denied the rumors but did not bare the chief executive’s whereabouts.

“No such incident involving the President took place. No further statement,” Lucrecia said in a separate message.

She said the President’s location could not be revealed due to security protocols.

“However, we can assure you that the President is well and good,” Lucrecia said.

Early this month, Duterte was out of the public eye to finish a backlog of paperwork.

Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat shared to media a photo of the Chief Executive watching “Django Unchained” on Netflix in his home in Davao City over the weekend to quell rumors that he is sick.

Both Panelo and Communication Secretary Martin Andanar have defended the photo of Duterte watching television, saying it was only released to ease concerns regarding the President’s health.

Duterte has previously admitted suffering from Buerger’s disease from smoking and bouts of migraines.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...