Palace hands off Ombudsman’s withdrawal of cases vs. Aquino

Azer Parrocha/Philippine News Agency

MANILA — Malacañang said it will keep its hands off the Office of the Ombudsman’s decision to move for the withdrawal of the graft and usurpation of authority cases filed against former President Benigno Aquino III at the Sandiganbayanx for his role in the Mamasapano incident in 2015.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo reiterated that the Palace will not meddle with the Office of the Ombudsman and other branches of government and constitutional bodies.

“The Palace doesn’t interfere with the other branches of the government as well as constitutional bodies. They have their assigned constitutional functions,” Panelo said in a statement on Saturday.

“They should freely perform their given constitutional tasks without interference from anyone or entity,” he added.

On Monday, the Sandiganbayan’s Fourth Division confirmed that Ombudsman Samuel Martires filed a motion to withdraw information finding no sufficient ground to charge Aquino for graft and usurpation of official functions.

Martires said the withdrawal of cases is “without prejudice to the filing of appropriate charges against the accused after the conduct of preliminary investigation.”

The motion has been set for hearing on July 12.

These charges were filed against the former chief executive in 2017, under the authority of then Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales.

They stemmed from Aquino’s move to allow suspended Philippine National Police (PNP) chief, Alan Purisima, to participate in a botched police operation, which resulted in the death of over 60 people – including 44 members of the PNP-Special Action Force (SAF).

Popular

PBBM earns praise for role as ‘peacemaker’ in PH, Thailand, and Cambodia talks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Not long after decades of tension between Thailand and Cambodia boiled over in 2025 and resulted in months of trading gunfire...

PBBM, U.S. official tackle Luzon economic corridor, investments

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. met with the United States (US) Undersecretary of State for Economic Growth,...

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...