Palace: Order on 300-K MT sugar import ‘illegal’

Malacañang on Thursday, August 11, said that an investigation on the “illegal” resolution uploaded on the website of the Sugar Regulatory Administration authorizing the importation of 300,000 metric tons of sugar is ongoing.

Press Secretary Trixie Cruz-Angeles said in a briefing that President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., the chairperson of the Sugar Regulatory Board, did not authorize any meeting for the resolution to import more supply “on top of what had already been imported in May.”

“It appears that the Resolution was signed for and on behalf of the President by Undersecretary Leocadio Sebastian. He was not authorized to sign such a resolution because the President did not authorize the importation,” Angeles said.

“The importation has to be carefully studied to protect both the consumer against the rising prices of basic commodities while ensuring at the same time, that we do not destroy the local industry,” she added.

The official also clarified that the President “did not assent” on the importation and that “it was the Executive Secretary who issued the order to create an importation plan.”

“It was therefore clear that there is no authorization for the importation of these 300,000 metric tons,” she said.

“An investigation is ongoing to determine whether any act that would cause the President to lose trust and confidence in his officials can be found, or if there is malice or negligence involved. In such a case, if such findings are made, then the only determination left will be how many heads are going to roll,” she added.  AG- bny

Popular

Logistics pact to boost provision of supplies, services between PH, Japan forces —DND

By Brian Campued The Philippines and Japan’s defense ties continue to deepen as the Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreement (ACSA) entered into force Saturday, establishing a...

Drop in poverty incidence affirms effective gov’t programs

By Jose Cielito Reganit | Philippine News Agency The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) believes the historic drop in poverty incidence to 9.7%...

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...