Palace: PRRD need not apologize to Pacquiao

By Pearl Gumapos

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte need not apologize to Sen. Manny Pacquiao, Malacañang said on Wednesday afternoon (July 21).

“Walang dahilan para mag-apologize. Lahat ‘yan ay kabahagi ng free marketplace of ideas,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said in a public briefing.

This was after Bacolod Rep. Monico Puentevella demanded an apology from Duterte for his verbal tirades against the boxer-senator.

In an interview with One News’ The Chiefs on Tuesday, Puentevella said Duterte “owes” Pacquiao an apology for making profanity-laced remarks against the lawmaker.

Earlier this month, the President advised the senator to “sit in Congress. Do not go anywhere, finish and find out the corruption that you are talking about.”

“Magtrabaho ka. Hiningi mo yan. Nandiyan ang mga papel. Start investigating. Don’t go elsewhere. Comply first with your duty as a senator,” Duterte also said.

This was after Pacquiao claimed that corruption has worsened under the Duterte administration.

This prompted the President to say he would not support the senator’s presidential bid in 2022 if the senator fails to prove his claims.

During political party PDP-Laban’s national assembly which was led by Duterte in Clark, Pampanga on July 17, Energy Sec. Alfonso Cusi was installed as the party’s president, replacing Pacquiao. – jlo

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...