Palace slams VP Sara’s ‘unstable government’ tirade

Palace Press Officer Claire Castro and Vice President Sara Duterte. (Photo courtesy: RTVM / Senate Social Media Unit)

By Brian Campued

Malacañang on Monday belied Vice President Sara Duterte’s claim that the administration of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is “unstable” amid corruption allegations.

In an interview with reporters, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro slammed Duterte over the latter’s quip, stressing that government institutions are “clearly abused” and are supposedly being used for “personal gain”.

“Isang malaking kasinungalingan na naman ‘to,” Castro said. “Alam natin na matatag ang ating gobyerno at ang administrasyong Marcos Jr. Ito ay ginigiba lamang ng mga obstructionists na tulad nila.”

Palace’s answer came after Duterte, in a press conference following the budget deliberation of her office at the Senate, claimed that nothing had happened despite witnesses testifying about corruption in the government

Castro stressed that it was Marcos Jr. who initiated the investigation into alleged anomalies and irregularities in infrastructure projects, with immediate focus on flood control works as many have been discovered substandard or non-existent across the country.

This move has led to Congress conducting separate probes on anomalous flood control projects; the change in leadership over at the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), as well as a review of its proposed budget; the creation of the Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI); and recommendations of charges against liable officials, contractors, and other personalities involved.

“Malamang hindi nila nakikita ang ginagawa ng Pangulo dahil bulag sila—nagbubulag-bulagan, nakapikit ang mata… Ang Pangulo mismo ang nagpasimula ng pag-iimbestiga na ito. Hindi tulad nung nakaraang administrasyon, anong nakita niyong pagbuyangyang o pagbulgar sa mga ganitong klaseng anomalya?” Castro said.

“So, hindi puwedeng sabihing na walang nagagawa ang ating Pangulo… So, kung ito mang bansa natin ay hindi magiging matatag, hindi puwedeng mangyari ‘yan dahil hindi papayagan ng Pangulo ‘yan,” she added.

Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin previously assured that the Philippine government remains “very stable” and that he does not see “any threats” despite corruption issues hounding public officials. (with report from Clay Pardilla / PTV News)

-jpv

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...