Palace still weighing online gambling ban

(Screengrab: PCO)

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency

The government is still reviewing the broader implications of banning all forms of online gambling, amid snowballing calls to impose a total ban over numerous cases of Filipinos falling into financial ruin due to “gambling addiction,” Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin said Sunday.

Bersamin, in a media interview, was asked whether President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will announce a total ban on online gambling in his fourth State of the Nation Address (SONA) later this month, like he did in his SONA last year when he banned Philippine offshore gaming operators (POGOs).

“Well, the policy remains the same… the President is very strong about POGOs, banned na ‘yan,” Bersamin said.

He clarified that while the ban on POGOs stands, other forms of online gaming that are not linked to scams or online fraud are still under study.

“We are still looking into it because we have to see all the ramifications that gaming of that method may be allowed to operate,” Bersamin added.

SONA preps

Meanwhile, Bersamin said the Chief Executive has taken a “hands-on” approach in crafting his annual report to the people.

“The President has been involved very personally in the preparation of the SONA because that is the report to the people,” he said.

“Alam niyo si Presidente, masyadong malakas ang focus niyan sa mga ganitong bagay because he really loves to communicate to the people the work that he has been doing, that the Cabinet has been doing, that the entire government has been doing.”

Marcos will deliver his fourth SONA on July 28 at Batasan Pambansa. (PNA)

Popular

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...

Palace: PBBM has no personal knowledge of DPWH ‘leadership fund’

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. has no personal knowledge of the so-called “leadership fund” in the Department...