Pandemic resets Bar exam anew to Feb. 4, 6

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency

The Supreme Court (SC) on Friday (Jan. 14) rescheduled anew the Bar Examination due to the COVID-19 situation.

The exam will now be held on Feb. 4 and 6, instead of the previous Jan. 23 and 25, citing a high rate of infection among examinees and support personnel.

The SC said 16.8% of the 8,546 Bar examinees who responded to an email are either positive for COVID-19, living with someone positive for the virus, or under quarantine as a direct contact and are at risk of not being able to take the examination if the original schedule were to push through.

Given the current infection rate and quarantine situation of the Bar personnel, the SC bulletin stated that 16 of the 31 teams that will be deployed will be critically understaffed if the current schedule were maintained.

Examinees were advised to strictly undergo quarantine by Jan. 20.

The SC earlier said examinees who will test positive for COVID-19 will be denied entry to their local testing centers.

The prohibition will apply to all cases, whether symptomatic or asymptomatic.

The Bar exam will be held in multiple sites for the first time after the SC approved the testing venues in August last year.

The last time the Bar was held in November 2019, Mae Diane Azores of the University of Sto. Tomas – Legazpi (formerly Aquinas University) was the topnotcher with a grade of 91.05%.

This time, examinees who obtain an 85% or higher weighted score shall be recognized for exemplary performance “to enable a more reasonable approach to appraising and reporting on Bar Examination performance.”

The SC will also rank law schools from the most to the least number of passers among first-time examinees and a separate list ranked according to the most to the least number of examinees recognized for exemplary performance. (PNA)  -ag

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...