Panelo rejects senatorial bet’s debate challenge

By Azer Parrocha/PNA

MANILA — Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo on Sunday rejected the dare of Senate bet Neri Colmenares to debate over issues concerning loan agreements between the Philippines and China.

Panelo said Colmenares only challenged him to attract media attention and improve his chances of winning a seat in the Senate.

“Challenging a publicly visible government official to a debate attracts media attention. Surely Mr. Neri Colmenares knows how to grab at a media op to improve on his fledgling candidacy,” Panelo said in a statement.

Panelo, however, said that he had more important concerns to prioritize than respond to Colmenares’ challenge.

“He should be commended for that but I have better things to do than to provide him the forum he desperately needs,” Panelo said.

Colmenares, former Bayan Muna representative, earlier claimed the USD62-million deal on the Chico River Pump Irrigation Project, an irrigation project in the Cordillera, favored China.

Panelo emphasized that the Palace and government’s economic managers have already responded to Colmenares’ questions, but he could always go to courts if he felt the responses were lacking.

“The issues he raised in the Chico River Pump Project have been squarely and adequately responded to by the economic managers as well as by this representation,” Panelo said.

“If he is not satisfied with our responses, he is free to go to the courts, as his usual style for media mileage, and we will be happy to oblige him there,” he added.

Previously, Panelo dismissed Colmenares’ allegations that the Philippines-China loan agreement for the Chico River pump project was “one-sided”.

Panelo noted that the project is beneficial to Filipinos because it will provide a stable supply of water to around 8,700 hectares of agricultural land, benefit 4,350 farmers and their families, and serve 21 barangays in the provinces of Kalinga and Cagayan in Northern Luzon once completed.

He also assured that the agreement had gone through proper procedures since it was reviewed, negotiated, and approved by the Interagency Committee composed of the Department of Justice, the Department of Finance and the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas.

Colmenares ran but lost in the 2016 senatorial race.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...