Pangasinan health exec eyes zero firecracker injury

LINGAYEN, Pangasinan — The Provincial Health Office (PHO) has called on barangay officials to set up a firecracker zone in their respective areas to ensure the safety of their constituents in celebrating the Yuletide Season.

PHO head Dr. Anna Ma. Teresa de Guzman said barangay officials need to act on this as a firecracker zone is mandated under Executive Order (EO) No. 98 issued by President Rodrigo Duterte regulating the use of firecrackers all over the country.

She said this New Year’s eve, the PHO is targeting zero firecracker injury under the campaign slogan “Sa paputok may disgrasya, heto ang ebidensiya (Accidents are inevitable when using firecrackers, here are evidence)” showing images of amputated hands of firecracker users last year.

De Guzman said a zero firecracker injury is admittedly hard to achieve unless officials down to the barangay level will give their 100 percent cooperation to the campaign.

She recalled that in 2016, the number of firecracker injuries in the province was down by 43 percent as compared to the figures in 2015 but this year, the target is zero injury.

Last year, the PHO recorded amputations and poisoning when a child ingested a small firecracker called “watusi”.

The health office also revealed that the firecracker “piccolo” registered most of the injuries in Pangasinan.
Likewise, there were people wounded due to stray bullets.

For the public to avoid injuries, they should now stop buying firecracker and just save their money for their media noche, said De Guzman.

She believes zero firecracker injury is not impossible to achieve as EO 98 issued by the President banned firecrackers containing black black powder of more than two grams.

The banned firecrackers include piccolo, “Goodbye Philippines”, “super lolo”, and powerful whistle bombs, among others. (Ahicam Pasion/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...