Pangasinan records 4 firecracker injuries

By Jerick James Pasiliao | Philippine News Agency

The Provincial Health Office (PHO) has already recorded four firecracker-related injuries, a week before the New Year revelry.

In a radio interview on Monday, PHO chief Dr. Anna Ma. Teresa de Guzman said the injuries were recorded from December 23 to 25.

She said one of the victims is a 7-year-old child who played “kwitis”, two were injured after using “boga”, and the other one used “5-star”.

De Guzman said the victims were from Bayambang and Manaoag towns, and cities of San Carlos and Dagupan.

Ang mga biktima ay nagtamo ng blast injuries sa kamay, forearm at leeg pero walang amputation. Sa ngayon ay wala pa tayong biktima ng stray bullet,” she added.

PHO’s data showed that the number is higher compared to the three injuries which were recorded last year in the same period. 

Meanwhile, the PHO has already issued a memorandum to the 14 provincial government-run hospitals to intensify their preparedness for the New Year’s Eve celebration. 

Nagbigay na tayo ng direktiba sa mga ospital na ihanda na nila ang kanilang mga kagamitan tulad ng pagsiguro ng sapat na suplay ng anti-tetanus, itlog, at iba pa na maaaring gamitin sa paggamot sa mga mapuputukan,” she said. 

De Guzman said all provincial hospitals are now under Code White alert status until December 30, adding that Code Red alert status will be put in place from December 31 to Jan. 1, 2022.

She said Code White means all human resources for health are on call anytime even during the day off of hospital personnel. They will help complement the response to emergency cases. 

“Under Code Red, all personnel should be on duty in key areas like the emergency room, operating room if in case there will be amputations. There should also be internists and emergency health teams,” she added. 

De Guzman urged the public to use alternative noisemakers, such as karaoke and organizing fireworks displays in an open area, rather than using firecrackers.

Among the banned firecrackers are piccolo, super lolo, atomic triangle, large Judas belt, large bawang, pillbox, boga, goodbye Philippines, Bin Laden, mother rocket, lolo thunder, Coke in can, atomic bomb, 5-Star, pla-pla, giant whistle bomb, kabasi, and watusi.

Meanwhile, aside from firecracker-related injuries, De Guzman also reminded the public to drink moderately and avoid driving under the influence of liquor to prevent vehicular accidents. (PNA)-rir

Popular

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...