PBBM accepts Bonoan resignation, names Dizon new DPWH chief

Outgoing Public Works and Highways Secretary Manuel Bonoan (Photo screengrab from DPWH/FB)

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. has accepted the resignation of Public Works and Highways Secretary Manuel Bonoan effective Sept. 1, Malacañang announced Sunday.

In his resignation letter, Bonoan expressed support for the administration’s push for “accountability, transparency and reform” amid ongoing investigations into anomalous flood control projects.

Marcos appointed Transportation Secretary Vince Dizon as the new DPWH chief, according to a Palace news release.

Dizon has been directed to conduct a full organizational sweep and ensure public funds are used solely for infrastructure that protects and benefits Filipinos.

The day before, the DPWH posted a taped video message of Bonoan, who said giving up his position is not the answer to the controversies hounding the department.

“Leaving or avoiding responsibility is not the right way to find a solution. I will accept accountability. But remember, I will not tolerate or allow any kind of corruption,” he said. “This is heartbreaking and very painful to accept that these things are happening under my watch, no matter how strict our policy against corruption is.”

Meanwhile, lawyer Giovanni Lopez has been named acting Secretary of the Department of Transportation to guarantee continuity in transport modernization programs.

Lopez, the Undersecretary for Administration, Finance, and Procurement since February, previously held senior posts overseeing railway, aviation and maritime projects.

Marcos also ordered the creation of an independent body to investigate flood control anomalies, which will review projects, identify irregularities, and recommend accountability measures.

“These decisions reflect the administration’s firm resolve to clean up corruption, strengthen institutions, and deliver honest and effective public service under Bagong Pilipinas (New Philippines),” the Palace said. (PNA)

Popular

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...