
By Brian Campued
President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Thursday distributed a total of P42.33 million in financial assistance to 4,233 farmers and fisherfolk affected by the recent onslaught of Severe Tropical Storm Kristine and Super Typhoon Leon in Cavite.
Speaking at the distribution event in Tagaytay City, the President vowed to help victims of recent calamities recover their livelihoods in the wake of Kristine and Leon.
“Patuloy ang ating pagsusumikap maibalik sa normal ang kalagayan ng mga Caviteño at mga karatig na probinsya ng Calabarzon,” Marcos said.
During the ceremonial distribution, the President extended P10,000 each to select beneficiaries from 21 localities in the province.
“Mga minamahal kong kababayan, sa kabila ng mga pagsubok na ating pinagdadaanan nawa ay pumaibabaw ang ating pagkakaisa at pagkikipagkapwa,” Marcos said.
“Hinihikayat ko kayong lahat na manatiling matatag, magtulungan po kayo, at huwag mawalan ng pag-asa—dahil ang pamahalaan ay kasama ninyo sa bawat hakbang ng inyong pagbangon,” he added.
Meanwhile, the Chief Executive also directed the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) to expedite the completion of the Cavite Industrial Area-Flood Risk Management Project (CIA-FRMP) amid challenges posed by climate change.
“Nakikita na po natin ang dulot ng bagyo at sakuna na pinalala ng tinatawag na climate change. Alam natin ang bawat unos na dumadaan ay nag-iiwan ng bakas sa ating sambayanan at pamayanan,” Marcos said.
“Kaya’t mas pinaigting natin ang paghahanda, ang pagbuo ng mas matatag na mga sistema, at ang pagbibigay ng tulong sa mga kababayan nating tinamaan ng mga nagdaang bagyo,” he added.
According to the Chief Executive, the CIA-FRMP should be able to withstand the impacts of climate change, especially severe flooding in the lower reaches of the San Juan River Basin and its adjacent Maalimango Creek Drainage Area.
“Sa DPWH, siguruhin natin na matapos ito sa lalong madaling panahon at siguruhin natin na maganda ang kalidad nito upang kayanin ang mga pagbaha na dulot ng climate change,” he said during the event.
The National Economic Development Authority (NEDA) Board, chaired by the President, previously approved the increased cost and extended construction period of the flood control project.
—av