PBBM conducts aerial survey over Paeng-hit areas; distributes aid

By Azer Parrocha | Philippine News Agency

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Monday, Oct. 31, conducted an aerial inspection over areas affected by Severe Tropical Storm “Paeng,” particularly parts of Cavite.

Marcos shared a photo of the aerial survey on his official Facebook page. He was accompanied by Cavite Governor Jonvic Remulla.

He also led the ceremonial distribution of the Department of Social Welfare and Development’s (DSWD) assistance to families and individuals in Barangay San Jose II in Noveleta, Cavite.

At least P50 million worth of relief goods were distributed to the victims of the natural calamity, according to the description provided by state-run RTVM.

The town of Noveleta, along with Kawit, is one of the hardest-hit areas in Cavite as severe rains from the uplands caused heavy flooding leading to the destruction of a river wall near the Ylang-Ylang River.

Around 18,000 families have been evacuated in Cavite.

In a short speech before the distribution of relief goods, Marcos emphasized the need for preemptive evacuation among residents as soon as advisories on approaching typhoons are released.

“Lagi kong ipinipilit at ipinapaala sa lahat ng NDRRMC [National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council] natin na ang pinakaimportante, pagkaalam natin may parating na bagyo ay mayroon tayong evacuation na preemptive na inuunahan natin yung bagyo na ilikas ang mga tao para kung sakali man dumaan dun sa lugar na ‘yun, ay hindi na sila mabiktima,” he said.

He said although there were few casualties, the infrastructure damage was severe.

Data from the NDRRMC showed that 4,188 houses were reported damaged in Ilocos Region, Central Luzon, Mimaropa, Bicol, Western Visayas, Central Visayas, Eastern Visayas, Zamboanga Peninsula, Northern Mindanao, Davao Region, Soccsksargen, Caraga, Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao, Cordillera Administrative Region and the National Capital Region. Partially damaged was placed at 3,499 and totally damaged at 689.

Infrastructure damage was estimated at PHP757 million and these were reported in Mimaropa, Bicol, Western Visayas, Central Visayas, Northern Mindanao and Davao Region.

Fatalities from the storm have climbed to 98. Of the number, 58 have been confirmed while 40 have yet to be validated.

Meanwhile, Marcos assured Noveleta evacuees that the government will strive to ensure that displaced persons can return to their respective homes as soon as possible.

“Alam ko naman na pagka ganito lahat ng na evacuate ay talagang gustong bumalik kaagad, at tinitiyak na lang natin na hindi naman magiging delikado ang pagbalik sa inyong mga tahanan, sa inyong mga negosyo,” he said.

He also assured that the government will provide enough food, water and other necessities while they remain in evacuation centers.

“We will take charge here and we will make sure na okay kayong lahat,” he added. – gb

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...