PBBM grants over P100-M aid to ‘Kristine’-hit farmers, fisherfolk in Bicol

AID TO CALAMITY VICTIMS. President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. leads the distribution of presidential aid to farmers, fisherfolk, and their families affected by Severe Tropical Storm Kristine in Pili, Camarines Sur on Wednesday (Nov. 6, 2024). The government has extended over P100 million worth of financial assistance and government services in Camarines Sur and Albay. (Photo courtesy of PCO)

By Brian Campued

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday distributed over P100 million in financial assistance and government services to farmers, fisherfolk, and their families who were affected by the onslaught of Severe Tropical Storm Kristine in the Bicol Region.

The Office of the President (OP), through the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), allocated P50 million each for calamity victims in Camarines Sur and Albay, giving P10,000 each to beneficiaries.

Last week, Marcos visited the storm-hit region to grant a total of P130 million in financial assistance to local governments of Albay, Naga City, and Camarines Sur.

“Umaasa ako na sa tulong at suportang iniaabot namin sa inyo ngayon, kayo ay magkakaroon ng sapat na kakayahan upang makabangon muli… Talaga pong nagpupursige tayo na maibalik sa normal ang kondisyon, sa lalong madaling panahon, ang mga nasirang tahanan, imprastruktura, at kabuhayan nitong bagyo,” the President said during the aid distribution in Camarines Sur.

In a speech at another distribution event in Albay, the Chief Executive said the financial assistance would help farmers and fisherfolk as well as their families rebuild their lives after the calamity.

In Camarines Sur, the government identified 600 beneficiaries each from the municipalities of Minalabac and Nabua; 500 each from Milaor and Bula; 450 from San Fernando; 400 each from Gainza and Baao; and 350 from Canaman.

Financial aid was also distributed to at least 250 beneficiaries each from Libmanan and Camaligan; 200 each from Calabanga and Pili; and 100 each from the municipalities of Pamplona, Bombon, and Magarao.

Department of Agriculture Sec. Francisco Tiu Laurel also extended P247,442.25 in crop insurance payments to 10 farmers affected by Super Typhoon Julian in Camarines Sur. 

Meanwhile, the crop insurance payments for farmers affected by Kristine are currently being processed by the Philippine Crop Insurance Corporation.

In Albay, Marcos extended assistance to 1,000 beneficiaries in the municipalities of Libon; 900 in Oas; 400 in Guinobatan; and 300 each in Camalig and Polangui; 200 each in Pio Duran and Malinao; and 150 each in Daraga and Tiwi.

He also extended aid to 100 beneficiaries each in Rapu-Rapu, Malilipot, Jovellar; and 80 each in Sto. Domingo and Bacacay; 60 in Manito; 450 in the city of Tabaco; 350 in Legazpi; and 80 in Ligao.

Aside from the financial aid from the Office of the President, the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority provided a Training Support Fund of P3,413,700 to 1,162 beneficiaries from Albay.

On the sidelines of the event in Albay, the President vowed that the government would exhaust all means available to ensure aid reaches even in the remote areas.

“Hindi lamang ’yong binibigay ng Department of Agriculture [ang aming ihahandog]. Idadagdag pa natin [ang] mahahanap na pondo galing sa Office of the President para matulungan [ang mga biktima ng bagyo],” Marcos said.

—iro

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...