PBBM inspects typhoon-hit areas in Nueva Vizcaya, grants P50-M aid

RECOVERY EFFORTS. President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. conducts an aerial inspection of typhoon-affected areas in Nueva Vizcaya on Friday (Nov. 22, 2024). The President also handed over P50 million worth of calamity assistance to the provincial government of Nueva Vizcaya to ensure its immediate recovery from the impact of Super Typhoon Pepito. (Photo courtesy of PCO)

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday handed over P50 million worth of calamity assistance to the provincial government of Nueva Vizcaya to ensure its immediate recovery from the impact of Super Typhoon Pepito (international name: Man-yi).

The ceremonial turnover of the cash aid from the Office of the President (OP) was held at the auditorium in Bambang town.

Speaking before the calamity victims in Nueva Vizcaya, Marcos vowed that the OP and other concerned government agencies would double their relief and rehabilitation efforts in Pepito-hit communities.

“Ang aming ginagawa, [and] tawag namin [dito] is whole-of-government approach, ’yong buong pamahalaan—hindi lamang isang departamento, hindi lamang dalawang departamento kundi ’yong buong pamahalaan—ay nagtutulungan para makatulong sa pagdala ng tulong para sa ating mga kababayan na nangangailangan na naging biktima dito sa mga disaster,” he said.

“Kung titingnan po ninyo, marami pong galing sa mga iba’t ibang ahensiya at huwag po nating kakalimutan ang ating mga private sector na tumutulong.” 

Marcos also led the distribution of food packs from the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) to about 1,000 Pepito victims.

The DSWD also granted P5,000 worth of cash aid to beneficiaries under the Assistance to Individuals in Crisis Situation (AICS) Program.

The President said the Department of Agriculture is also assessing the agricultural damage in Nueva Vizcaya, adding that affected beneficiaries would be provided with cash and non-cash assistance.

“We will provide seedlings. We will provide fertilizer. We will provide all other inputs para naman makabalik kayo kaagad sa inyong ginagawa,” he said.

He said the national government would also closely coordinate with the local government units, as he acknowledged their crucial role as “first responders” during disasters.

Before the distribution of various government assistance, Marcos conducted an aerial inspection of typhoon-affected areas in Nueva Vizcaya.

He also inspected the typhoon-damaged bypass road in Bambang, Nueva Vizcaya, based on a video shared with Palace reporters by acting Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Secretary Cesar Chavez.

Chavez said Nueva Vizcaya Governor Jose Gambito and Bambang, Nueva Vizcaya Mayor Benjamin Lloren Cuaresma III briefed Marcos on the current situation of the Bambang Bypass Road that was severely damaged because of the strong flow of the Magat River during Pepito’s onslaught.

Marcos said the Department of Public Works and Highways is preparing a new flood control plan to make sure that the country’s infrastructures can withstand disasters.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...