PBBM orders cleanup ops, cash-for-work program to oil-spill affected areas

(Photo courtesy of PCG)

By Janine Dumaguin

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday, March 8, said that he directed government agencies to conduct cleanup operations and cash-for-work assistance to oil-spill affected residents in Oriental Mindoro.

Marcos said the program will aid residents who temporarily lost their livelihoods, through paying them in exchange for cleaning the coast.

The government is also monitoring popular tourist areas and fishing sanctuaries and will immediately conduct cleanup operations if a spill is detected.

“‘Yun ay talagang babantayan natin at kung mangyari na abutan talaga doon — pumunta sa lupa, sa shoreline ang langis ay talagang maglalagay, gagawa tayo ng programa para ng pag-cleanup para makabalik sa trabaho lahat ng tiga-roon,” Marcos said.

“But in the meantime, habang wala pa they are engaged in the cash-for-work program sa cleanup. Pag natapos na ‘yun, puwede na sila mangisda ulit. Puwede silang bumalik sa trabaho nila,” he added.

Marcos said he hopes the oil spill can be contained by the current efforts, allowing the situation in the impacted areas to quickly return to normal.

Meanwhile, authorities were able to identify the sunken tanker that had been leaking oil, which allowed them to estimate the spill’s location. – gb

Popular

PBBM cites need to promote Filipino food for ‘experiential tourism’

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday emphasized the importance of promoting Filipino native delicacies and cuisines...

Gov’t measures vs. inflationary pressures effective — NEDA

By Kris Crismundo and Stephanie Sevillano | Philippine News Agency Government efforts to control inflation are showing results as the country’s inflation rate continued to...

Palace lauds rude Russian vlogger’s arrest; persona non grata declaration looms

By Filane Mikee Cervantes | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Friday lauded law enforcement agencies for their swift action in arresting Russian-American vlogger Vitaly Zdorovetskiy,...

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...