PBBM orders probe into PhilHealth benefit denial claim —Palace

HEALTH CARE. Members process documents and claims at the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation office along Mother Ignacia Avenue in Quezon City on Tuesday (May 12, 2026). Under the National Health Insurance Program, PhilHealth provides health insurance coverage and helps ensure affordable, acceptable, available, and accessible health care services for all Filipinos. (PNA photo by Joan Bondoc)

By Brian Campued

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. has ordered a thorough probe into claims that a member of the Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth) was denied benefits as the state insurer reportedly requires at least a 24-hour confinement to qualify for coverage.

In a press briefing Tuesday, Palace Press Officer Claire Castro stressed that PhilHealth must investigate whether there were lapses in cascading the policy or the coverage of the benefits the members are entitled to.

“Hindi po nais ng Pangulo na dapat ang mga kababayan natin ay nabibigyan po ng ayuda pagdating po sa kalusugan nila pero hindi naibibigay dahil sa maling pag-i-implement. Hindi po iyan nais ng Pangulo. 

So, titingnan po natin. Hindi pa po natin alam kung sino ang may pagkakamali dito, pero ipinag-uutos po ang tama at masusi na pag-iimbestiga dito dahil hindi po ito dapat maulit kung totoo na PhilHealth staff ang nagkaroon ng pagkakasala dito,” Usec. Castro said.

Castro also reminded PhilHealth personnel, whether assigned to hospitals or tasked to process the benefits of members, to be aware of all available coverages to ensure that correct information will be delivered to the public.

She likewise assured Filipinos that the President and his administration remain committed to improving access to healthcare in the country, noting the implementation of the Department of Health’s zero balance billing policy and the continuous expansion of PhilHealth’s benefits.

In a statement on June 14, PhilHealth said that they had already reached out to the family of their member who died while being transferred and assessed at a receiving hospital and that both sides had agreed on the next steps as they explore possible support.

“PhilHealth immediately mobilized, upon learning of the incident, to understand and address the situation,” the state insurer said.

“Please know that PhilHealth will always stand with our members, especially in their time of need,” it added. (with report from Clay Pardilla / PTV News)

-jpv/av

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...