PBBM seeks LGU assistance in relocating families living in danger zones after the Nov. 17-Sarangani quake

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. during a situation briefing in General Santos City, Nov. 23, 2023. (Photo courtesy of PCO)

Presidential Communications Office

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. sought the assistance of local governments in Soccsksargen on Thursday in relocating families living in danger zones following the 6.8 magnitude earthquake that hit the region last week.

“Kung may relocation, kailangan n’yo kaming tulungan tungkol nga diyan sa paghanap ng lupang magagamit for the relocation,” President Marcos said during a situation briefing in General Santos City.

“But ‘yung NHA (National Housing Authority), may emergency fund din ‘yan. As soon as we can, papasok na ‘yung NHA para tingnan kung ano pang pwedeng gawin sa relocation, sa repair ng mga nasirang bahay,” he said.

According to Sarangani local officials, those affected were families living near the shoreline.

“Karamihan sa tabing dagat, Sir, the LGU… nakabili na po kami ng relocation lot. Plano ko sir ‘yung mga nasirang bahay, hindi ko na sila (papayagan) magtayo ulit doon sa tabing-dagat. Ililipat ko na sila doon sa bagong relocation site na nabili ng LGU,” one official told the President.

Experts and officials also recommended that houses and settlements at the foot of active landslide area, even though not directly affected, must be relocated.

They said mitigating measures must be used on steep slopes previously affected by landslide in Glan, Sarangani province. Further assessment and validation of damages to housing and government infrastructure should also be conducted.

They reported that most of the damaged houses were made of light materials and were built not following the national building code, with some situated in high-risk areas.

Available government figures show there were 441 totally damaged houses in Sarangani, 122 in South Cotabato, and 13 in General Santos City. PND

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...