PBBM to discuss efforts vs. transnational crimes in Cambodia visit

PH-CAMBODIA TIES. President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. and Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Manet during a bilateral meeting in Malacañang on Feb. 11, 2025. Marcos is set to undertake a state visit to Cambodia on Sept. 7–9. (Photo courtesy: PCO / FILE)

By Brian Campued

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will discuss expanding Philippines’ cooperation with Cambodia in addressing transnational crimes as well as collaboration in key sectors in the President’s upcoming state visit to the Southeast Asian country.

In a statement Thursday, Malacañang said Marcos and First Lady Liza Marcos will visit Cambodia on Sept. 7–9 upon the invitation of Cambodian King Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni.

The state visit, which was confirmed by Palace Press Officer Claire Castro in a press briefing last month, reciprocates Cambodian Prime Minister Samdech Moha Borvor Thipadei Hun Manet’s official visit to the Philippines in February this year.

“The President and the First Lady will be received by Acting Head of State and Senate President Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo Hun Sen and his spouse, Samdech Kittiprittbindit Bun Rany Hun Sen, on behalf of His Majesty,” the Palace said.

Aside from combating transnational crimes, Marcos will also discuss deeper areas of cooperation with Prime Minister Hun in key sectors such as connectivity, agriculture, higher education, tourism, and culture.

The Chief Executive will also participate in a roundtable meeting with Filipino and Cambodian business leaders to explore ways to diversify sources of goods and expand market access between the two nations.

The business meeting also aims to increase bilateral and intra-ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) trade.

The President will also meet with the Filipino community—a gathering which he previously referred to as one of his priorities during his foreign trips.

The Philippines and Cambodia established formal diplomatic relations on Aug. 20, 1957.

-jpv

Popular

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...