
By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency
President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday assured the public that the government will step up its response to help individuals affected by the eruption of Mt. Kanlaon.
“We will step up. We will level up. Any escalation in damages and destruction will be met with a stronger government response,” Marcos said in a video message.
Marcos said the government is focused on providing immediate assistance, adding that concerned agencies are closely coordinating with the local government units (LGUs) to ensure the safety of displaced individuals.
Over 45,000 residents have been evacuated from the six-kilometer radius danger zone.
Marcos said the target is to evacuate a total of 84,000.
The Department of Social Welfare and Development is making sure that there are enough family food packs, non-food items, clean water, and hygiene kits for the affected individuals staying in evacuation centers, Marcos assured.
He also directed the Department of Budget and Management to release funds for the victims.
Marcos said the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) has prepared to respond to a worst-case scenario, even before the volcano erupted on Monday.
He also placed all units of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, the Philippine National Police and the Bureau of Fire Protection in Negros Island on high alert.
He said the Department of Health (DOH) is also ready to provide services, adding that additional medicine from Metro Manila would be airlifted, if necessary.
“Patuloy din nakaalerto ang DOH laban sa mga sakit dulot ng volcanic ash, habang ang NDRRMC at Task Force Kanlaon ay naghahanda sa anumang maaaring mangyari,” Marcos said.
Marcos said Task Force Kanlaon is coordinating the right response based on the strength of the volcanic eruption and the damage it may cause.
He said the DOH and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) would continue giving warnings about the health impacts of the volcanic eruption.
“Susuong sila sa anumang paghamon na darating,” Marcos said. “Sa ganitong kalamidad, posibleng madapuan ng sakit dulot ng abo ng bulkan. Walang patid po ang surveillance, monitoring, at paalala ng DOH at saka DENR sa mga karamdamang maaaring dumating.”
He said the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology would continue to issue round-the-clock advisories “in a language that is clearly understood” by the public.=
“Truth will save lives. Fake news will kill. Effective disaster response is anchored on reliable information,” Marcos said.
As of this posting, the NDRRMC said Kanlaon’s eruption has so far affected 11,791 families residing in 26 villages in Western Visayas and Central Visayas.