PCGG continuing efforts to recover Marcos wealth: Palace

MANILA — Malacañang on Wednesday assured that the government is not slowing down on its efforts to recover billions worth of ill-gotten wealth stolen from the country by former president and strongman Ferdinand Marcos and his cronies.

“Efforts to recover any ill-gotten wealth continue through the Philippine Commission on Good Government (PCGG),” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said in a press statement.

Roque said human rights victims have also been given compensation through the Human Rights Victims’ Claims Board (HRVCB).

Moreover, he said the government will continue to find ways and means “to effect closure for all victims of abuses that occurred during that period of martial law.”

Roque made this remark after Ilocos Norte Governor Imee Marcos, the late dictator’s daughter, urged her family’s critics to “move on.”

The Ilocos Norte governor stressed the need to move forward because the conflict between the Marcoses and the Aquinos had “happened a long time ago.”

She made this remark during the 35th death anniversary of the late senator Benigno “Ninoy” Aquino Jr., a staunch critic of Marcos. Aquino’s assassination inspired the People Power Revolution.

“We understand that Governor Imee Marcos is addressing the critics of her family,” Roque said.

“As far as we are concerned, the Duterte administration is willing to work with all groups for the benefit of the people,” he added.

Roque emphasized that Duterte has “opened the doors” to everyone — regardless of affiliation and ideology — to “unite the country.”

Duterte, who previously described Marcos as the country’s best president, is a known friend of the Marcos family.

He granted the late president’s burial with full military honors at the Libingan ng mga Bayani on Nov. 18, 2016 despite protests. (Azer Parrocha/PNA)

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...