PDEA-6 intercepts P125,000 ‘shabu’ in Iloilo bus terminal

ILOILO CITY — The Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency 6 (Western Visayas) on Saturday confiscated 25 grams of suspected shabu or methamphetamine hydrochloride with an estimated value of PHP125,000.

The suspected shabu was seized after operatives of PDEA-6 conducted an inspection at the Ceres bus terminal in Barangay Buhang in Jaro district in this city.

In an interview, PDEA-6 Regional Director Wardley Getalla said that the confiscated suspected shabu could fetch PHP250,000 based on Iloilo street price.

Getalla said they have immediately formed a team to conduct inspection at the bus terminal after an informant told them a shipment of illegal drugs is coming to the city via the courier service of Ceres from Metro Manila.

“Since there are many baggage there, we use our narcotic-detection dog and fortunately, our dog was able to smell it and we started the inspection until we recovered the illegal drugs,” he said.

Getalla said the suspected shabu were sealed in five transparent plastic sachets containing five grams each and were concealed in legitimate packaging for hair conditioner and moisturizer.

He added that the contraband was inside a small box placed in a paper bag, which somehow looked like a gift with a “fictitious name” on it.

But Getalla said the identity of the sender have not yet been determined despite coordination with the source terminal in Manila.

Getalla noted that the management of Ceres courier has been “cooperative” and “supportive” of their operation since they have given them full access to the bus and baggage.

“That is a very good manifestation because they do not tolerate this. We have appealed to them to report to us immediately if there are fictitious names on the baggage or suspicious senders who would transact with them so we could verify and assure if there are illegal drugs or none,” he said.

Meanwhile, Getalla said that the confiscation of the illegal drugs is a manifestation that the supply in Iloilo is decreasing.

“That is why they outsource from NCR (National Capital Region) though it is only 25 grams. The usual shipment would range from 100 grams to two kilos but because of the effort of PNP (Philippine National Police) and PDEA, they find it difficult to get from drug pushers,” he added.

Getalla assured that they will continue conducting random inspections, not only in bus terminals but in sea ports and airports in the region as well. (PNA)

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...