Pele returns to hospital for cancer treatment

RIO DE JANEIRO – Pele has been readmitted to the hospital for ongoing cancer treatment, the Brazilian football legend said on Sunday, Feb. 13.

The 81-year-old has been undergoing chemotherapy in Sao Paulo after surgery to remove a tumor from his colon in September.

“Friends, as I have been doing monthly, I am going to the hospital to continue my treatment,” Pele told his 8.4 million Instagram followers.

“I’ve already ordered a big TV and popcorn so I can watch the Super Bowl later. I will watch the match even though my friend @tombrady is not playing. Thanks for all the loving messages.”

Details of Pele’s condition have not been disclosed, but doctors said last month the three-time FIFA World Cup winner was “clinically stable” after spending two days in the hospital.

Widely regarded as one of the greatest players of all time, Pele scored a world record tally of 1,281 goals in a 1,363-match professional career that spanned 21 years. He was capped 91 times for Brazil and scored 77 international goals. (Xinhua) – bny

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...