Peralta attends last flag raising ceremony as SC Chief

MANILA – Supreme Court Chief Justice Diosdado Peralta attended his last flag raising ceremony at the SC grounds earlier this morning as he is set to retire.

He was given a plaque of appreciation by his colleagues because of his “34 years exemplary and dedicated public service” in the judiciary. Also present during the ceremony were some of Peralta’s fellow magistrates like Justice Rosmari Carandang and Justice Henri Jean Paul Inting.

Peralta turned emotional during his speech, “Medyo emotional tayo but I will try my best,” he started. He then expressed gratitude to all his colleagues for their support during his stint in the High Tribunal.

“I cannot help but feel a tinge of sadness as I will be leaving the realm of public service and my beloved Supreme Court which has been my second home for the past 12 years,” Peralta continued.

The outgoing country’s top magistrate also addressed the challenges the High Court had to face during the COVID-19 pandemic and admitted that “the past year had been a difficult
one is beyond and underestimate in both the personal and professional aspects of our lives.” Peralta maintained that the High Court did everything necessary for the sake of the
judiciary.

“I can say with confidence that we, the members and officials of the Supreme Court, have done everything within our authority to address all judicial concerns and protect everyone’s well-being, to the best of our abilities.” Peralta reiterated.

With his impending retirement, Peralta made sure that “I will still make myself available to the Supreme Court if I am. And when the time comes that my assistance is needed,” he said.

“For now though, I bid you farewell, and wish you all the best of health and circumstances. I thank you for your encouragement, and I think you have the honor of letting me lead you,” he concluded.

Peralta was appointed by President Rodrigo Duterte in October 2019 and is set to leave the High Court on March 27, 2021.

The Chief Justice of the Philippines’ which is the top judicial post is about to be vacated, that’s why the Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) conducted interviews for nominees for the said post.

Among the applicants who participated in the interview last March 12, 2021 were Senior Associate Justice Estela Perlas-Bernabe, Associate Justice Alexander Gesmundo, and Associate Justice Ramon Paul Hernando.

The JBC will come up with a shortlist to be submitted to the President who will then select the country’s next Chief Justice. – Kenneth Paciente

Popular

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...

PBBM earns praise for role as ‘peacemaker’ in PH, Thailand, and Cambodia talks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Not long after decades of tension between Thailand and Cambodia boiled over in 2025 and resulted in months of trading gunfire...

PBBM, U.S. official tackle Luzon economic corridor, investments

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. met with the United States (US) Undersecretary of State for Economic Growth,...