PH asks foreign gov’ts to aid Filipinos trapped in SEA ‘scam centers’

Department of Foreign Affairs (Photo courtesy of DFA / PNA)

By Joyce Ann Rocamora | Philippine News Agency

The Philippine government has appealed to foreign authorities for assistance in rescuing Filipinos believed to be trapped and forced to work in illegal call centers across mainland Southeast Asia, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said on Wednesday, July 15.

In a statement, the agency said it continues to receive reports of alleged Filipino human trafficking victims forced to work in scam hubs.

“In response, the DFA works with its Foreign Service Posts, especially in Mainland Southeast Asia (Thailand, Myanmar, Lao PDR and Cambodia), to persistently devote efforts and resources in extending all possible assistance to our Filipinos in distress, while requesting the authorities of the host countries for their invaluable cooperation,” it said.

The agency has yet to provide specific details regarding the number of distressed Filipinos or the reports it has received so far.

It, however, assured the public that Manila, in coordination with the Filipinos’ host countries, is “committed to the rescue and repatriation of all Filipino trafficking victims that are working in illegal call centers in the region.”

Meanwhile, it advised Filipinos planning to pursue work overseas to undergo proper deployment procedures established by the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) and other concerned agencies before departing the country for employment abroad.

“We call on all our kababayans, including our Filipino communities abroad, to support all efforts to prevent all modes of recruitment and victimization of our Filipino nationals in schemes that lead to forced criminality and participation in scamming operations,” it said.

Relatives of the concerned Filipinos who wish to provide verified information on their kin that they believe may be trapped in scam hubs in the vicinity of the Myanmar-Thailand border may reach out to the Philippine authorities, said the DFA.

The Philippine Embassy in Yangon may be reached through their Assistance-to-Nationals (ATN) hotline at +95 998 521 0991 or via email at [email protected], while the Philippine Embassy in Bangkok may be contacted via their Assistance-to-Nationals (ATN) hotline +66 81989 7116 or email through [email protected]. (PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...