PH calls on parties to cease tension-raising activities in WPS

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | PNA

MANILA — The Philippine government on Thursday called on concerned parties in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) to desist from any activity that would raise tensions in the disputed area.

The statement came following reports of Chinese vessels swarming near and around Pag-asa Island in the disputed waters.

“We call on concerned parties to desist from any action and activity that contravenes the ASEAN-China Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea (DOC), as these generate tension, mistrust and uncertainty, and threatens regional peace and stability,” the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said in a statement sent to reporters.

While negotiations for a Code of Conduct in the South China Sea are ongoing, the government called for the full and effective implementation of the DOC.

“We cannot emphasize enough the imperative to build and promote mutual trust and confidence, to exercise self-restraint in the conduct of activities; and to avoid actions that may further complicate the situation and undermine peace, security and stability in the region,” it added.

In a rare statement on the South China Sea situation, the department said all Chinese vessels within the Kalayaan Island Group (KIG) will continue to be the subject of appropriate action by the Philippines.

For its part, the government underscored it “consistently manifested” the country’s position on the Pag-asa Islands and on the KIG, as well as its objections or concerns over “illegal, tension-raising or coercive activities,” in the area through diplomatic actions, including notes verbales and in meetings with the Chinese side, such as the Philippines-China Bilateral Consultation Mechanism.

“The Joint Statement issued by the Philippines and China on the occasion of last year’s State Visit of President Xi Jinping to the Philippines includes an agreement by both sides to exercise self-restraint with respect to activities in the South China Sea that would complicate or escalate disputes and affect peace and stability,” the DFA said.

“We call on the Chinese government to adhere to this consensus reached at the highest levels, down to its agencies and its military,” it added.

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...