PH condoles with Iran, Iraq after 7.2 earthquake kills more than 100; No Filipinos among dead, injured

The Philippines on Monday expressed its sympathies to Iran and Iraq after a magnitude 7.2 earthquake struck the northern Kurdish regions of both countries, killing more than a hundred people and injuring more than a thousand.

The Department of Foreign Affairs said both the Philippine Embassies in Baghdad and Tehran have reported that so far there are no Filipinos among the dead or injured.

“The people of the affected areas of Iran and Iraq are in our thoughts and prayers today,” Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter S. Cayetano said.

“Our deepest sympathies go out to the families of those who lost their lives in this tragedy,” Secretary Cayetano added.

The Philippine Embassy in Baghdad said the earthquake, which struck at around 9:20 pm (2:20 am in Manila), was centered near the city of Halabja in Iraqi Kurdistan.

The earthquake also affected Kurdish areas of Iran, including the cities of Sarpol and Ilam, according to Ambassador to Tehran Wilfredo Santos. He said the eight Filipino-Iranians residing in Ilam are all safe.

The tremor, which was also felt in Baghdad, about 350 kilometers south of Halabja, caused some minor damage to the Embassy, according to Chargé d’Affaires Elmer Cato.

He said the temblor also sent some of the 3,000 Filipinos in Kurdistan spilling into the streets. A two-member team from the Embassy that has been stationed in Erbil also had to rush out of the hotel they were staying in. | DFA-PR

Popular

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...