PH EMBASSY MONITORING DISTURBANCE IN VIRGINIA

August 13 — The Philippine Embassy in Washington DC is closely monitoring the situation in Charlottesville, Virginia, after a state of emergency was declared there following violent clashes between opposing groups of demonstrators that left left one person dead and at least 19 others injured.

In a statement, the Department of Foreign Affairs said Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter S. Cayetano was informed this morning by Embassy Charge d’Affaires Patrick Chuasoto that no Filipino has been reported among the injured or arrested as a result of the violence.

According to Secretary Cayetano, police normally notify foreign embassies if there are foreign nationals injured or arrested in such disturbances.

“So far, the Philippine Embassy has not received reports from the Filipino Community or the Charlottesville police,” Secretary Cayetano said.

The violence erupted after white nationalists staging what they described to be their largest rally in decades clashed with counterprotestors.

The Embassy, at the same time, urged Filipinos in Charlottesville, which is home to the University of Virginia, and neighboring areas to stay indoors and avoid large gatherings of people.

The Embassy estimates that there are around 125 Filipinos in Charlottesville, which is located 117 miles southwest of Washington.

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...