PH-France film co-production possible upon UN declaration signing

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora/Philippine News Agency

MANILA — A co-production deal that would fund Filipino and French filmmakers is possible once the Philippines has ratified the UNESCO Universal Declaration on Cultural Diversity, the French Embassy in Manila said Thursday.

Martin Macalintal, audiovisual attaché of the French Embassy in Manila, said the ratification of the declaration is a condition for the signing of a co-production agreement between the Philippines and France.

“Once such co-production agreement is signed, French-Philippine co-productions can benefit from funding from the French CNC (Centre national du cinéma et de l’image animée),” he told the Philippine News Agency.

The French CNC is an agency with legal and financial autonomy under the French Culture Ministry. Its main function is to ensure the implementation of France’s state policy in the film sector and other industries relating to the moving image.

While the crafting of a co-production agreement between the two states is not yet in the pipeline, Paris continues to engage Manila on audiovisual cooperation.

Experts from the French CNC and the Annecy International Animation Festival and Market have, in fact, already shared their knowledge and best practices with Filipino professionals in the field.

“The French Embassy flew in an expert to demonstrate how French box office taxes, revenue taxes of TV networks, are collected by the CNC to provide grants for film production and support the entire film industry,” Macalintal told PNA.

“The expert had an audience with the legal officers of senators and congressmen during the Film Development Council of the Philippines national film conference last year,” he added.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...