PH, Japan agree to repatriate WW2 Japanese soldiers’ remains

MANILA– The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) announced on Wednesday that Philippines and Japan have officially agreed to cooperate in the humanitarian repatriation of the remains of World War II Japanese soldiers in the Philippines.

In a statement, DFA, through the Office of Public Diplomacy, said the Memorandum of Cooperation (MOC) will facilitate the proper collection, handling, storage, and shipment of these remains.

An estimated 518,000 Japanese soldiers perished in the Philippines during World War II.

The Philippines, under President Carlos Garcia, allowed Japan to undertake recovery missions in the country for humanitarian reasons beginning in 1958.

Since then, DFA said, the remains of roughly 100,000 soldiers have been returned to Japan.

Japan Times reported that the project was suspended in 2010 after news broke that some of the collected remains might have included Filipino nationals.

A year later, it was confirmed that those repatriated to Japan contained no foreign bones.

DFA-OPD told the Philippine News Agency (PNA) that the MOC, dated May 8, was signed in Tokyo by Minister of Health, Labor and Welfare Katsunobu Kato and Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano, who affixed his signature in Manila. (Joyce Ann L. Rocamora/PNA)

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...