PH monitors Sulawesi quake aftermath

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora/Philippine News Agency

MANILA — There are no immediate reports of casualties following the 6.8 magnitude earthquake, which hit Indonesia’s Sulawesi Island on Friday night.

However, the Philippine government continues to monitor its aftermath despite the lifting of the tsunami warning issued by Indonesia due to the tremor, according to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA).

The DFA also issued a bulletin, confirming that the lone Filipino in the area is safe. The unnamed Filipino also said the quake did not cause any significant damage in the area.

The Indonesia’s Geophysical Agency on Friday night also lifted the tsunami warning it issued for coastal communities in Morowali district following the tremor.

The United States Geological Survey said the quake had a magnitude of 6.8, with an epicenter far from the Palu, Sulawesi, which suffered from a devastating tsunami and quake that killed thousands last year.

The quake struck at 7:40 p.m. (8:40 p.m. Philippine time) at a shallow depth of 10 kilometers off the east coast of Sulawesi Island.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...