PH sends team to assist OFWs affected by typhoon in Saipan

MANILA — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Thursday sent a consular team to assist overseas Filipino workers in Northern Marianas who were displaced after Typhoon Yutu (Rosita) swept across the islands last week.

According to the agency, a two-man team from the Philippine Consulate General in Agana is traveling to Saipan to extend relief assistance to affected OFWs.

Consul General Marciano de Borja said aside from distributing cash assistance, Vice Consul Alex Vallespin and Assistance to Nationals (ATN) Officer Juliet Simbul will also check and assess the conditions of the Filipino community in the island and meet with Saipan officials.

The envoy said some Filipinos were reported to have lost their houses in the typhoon and have limited access to food and water.

According to de Borja, there are about 6,000 OFWs among the estimated 15,000 members of the Filipino community in Saipan, the largest island in the Northern Marianas. (Joyce Ann L. Rocamora/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...