PH tells NoKor to cease missile tests amid latest launch

A man watches a television showing a news broadcast with file footage of a North Korean missile test, at a railway station in Seoul on November 5, 2024. – North Korea fired a salvo of short-range ballistic missiles early on November 5, Seoul’s military said, Pyongyang’s second launch in days and just hours before Americans vote for a new president. (Photo courtesy of Anthony Wallace / AFP)

By Joyce Ann Rocamora | Philippine News Agency

The Philippine government called on North Korea to “immediately cease” its missile tests amid its latest launch of multiple short-range ballistic missiles into the East Sea on Nov. 5.

In a statement Tuesday, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) reiterated that these “provocative actions” undermine the economic progress and stability in the Korean Peninsula and the wider Indo-Pacific region.

“The Philippines expresses serious concern and strongly denounces the continuing ballistic missile launches conducted by the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK),” it said.

“We reiterate our call for the DPRK to immediately cease these activities and abide by all international obligations, including relevant UN (United Nations) Security Council Resolutions, and to commit to peaceful and constructive dialogue,” it added.

North Korea conducted the ballistic missile tests less than a week after claiming it successfully test-fired the new Hwasong-19 intercontinental ballistic missile, which if fired at a normal angle is theoretically capable of reaching the US mainland.

Echoing hopes for a “lasting peace on the Korean Peninsula,” the DFA joined calls for the “complete, verifiable, and irreversible denuclearization” of North Korea.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...