PH to shift to new air traffic management system

By Ma. Cristina Arayata/PNA

MANILA — The country will soon complete the transition to a new air traffic management system, as aviation officials held a cutover rites of the new Air Traffic Management Center (ATMC) at the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) compound in Manila on Monday afternoon.

The new system will help improve ASEAN connectivity, enhance aviation safety, optimize Philippine airspace, reduce carbon dioxide emissions, and promote greener skies, according to CAAP.

CAAP spokesperson Eric Apolonio earlier told the Philippine News Agency (PNA) that the Communications, Navigation, Surveillance / Air Traffic Management (CNS/ATM) system will enhance the safety and efficiency of air traffic, therefore enabling a more definite aircraft identification and better airspace management.

Last month, a number of flights at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) were affected by CAAP’s request to airlines to reduce the number of their flights, as the agency worked on the air navigational transition phase.

The transition phase is the “migration from the old Manila ACC radar, which has a limited capacity, to the CNS-ATM system, which could cover the whole country,” Apolonio said.

He added that reducing the number of flights was part of the safety measure during this transition phase.

CAAP reported that last Nov. 15 and Dec. 15, the Manila and Clark airspace radar approach control service were successfully transferred to the new ATMC.

In April 2019, the Davao airspace radar approach control service will be transferred to the new ATMC, completing the transition of approach facilities to the new ATMC, CAAP added.

Meanwhile, aside from control tower upgrades, the new ATMC will also house the country’s Aeronautical Information Service (AIS), the Manila Aeronautical Data Communication Center (ADCC), and the Philippine Aeronautical Rescue Coordination Center (PARCC).

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...