PH won’t return to ICC despite new drug war revelations

Photos courtesy of PCO/ICC.

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency

The Philippines will not return to the International Criminal Court (ICC), Malacañang said Monday, amid calls for the government to submit to the tribunal the sworn statements made before the House of Representatives’ probe on the supposed drug-related extrajudicial killings under the previous administration.

Retired police officer Royina Garma and self-confessed drug lord Kerwin Espinosa testified before the House Quad-Committee hearing last week that so-called extrajudicial killings had the sanctions of former President Rodrigo Duterte.

Duterte is under ICC probe for the infamous anti-narcotics crackdown.

“The Philippines will not return to ICC,” Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin told reporters. “Based on this, the President (Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.) is not expected to change his mind and not refer the Quad-Comm matter to the ICC.”

National Union of Peoples’ Lawyers and ICC-accredited assistant to counsel Kristina Conti had urged Marcos to submit the Quad-Comm investigation materials to the ICC for inclusion in the case build-up.

Marcos had repeatedly asserted that the ICC has no jurisdiction over the Philippines and that the country’s justice system is functioning.

Meanwhile, Solicitor General Menardo Guevarra said the Quad-Comm may consider handing its records to executive department offices for investigation and prosecution, like the Department of Justice, National Bureau of Investigation, or the Ombudsman.

“It would even be better if all pieces of evidence gathered from the congressional committee hearings are turned over to our own executive agencies for appropriate investigation and prosecution,” Guevarra said in a statement.

Filing of case vs Leonardo

Meanwhile, Bersamin said the Palace also supports the filing of cases against resigned National Police Commission (Napolcom) commissioner Edilberto Leonardo, also a former police officer.

“The Palace will support the filing but will leave the decision to file entirely to the DOJ or the Ombudsman,” Bersamin said.

A Duterte appointee, Leonardo resigned after being linked in the 2020 killing of then Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) board secretary Wesley Barayuga.

Leonardo and former PCSO general manager Royina Garma were implicated by PLTCOL. Santie Mendoza in the killing of Barayuga during a Quad-Comm hearing.

Mendoza claimed that he was notified by Leonardo through a phone call in October 2019 about a “special project” involving a high-value individual who is believed to be involved in illegal drugs.

Leonardo is also being linked to the killing of three Chinese drug convicts inside a Davao prison facility in 2016.

He denied both allegations. (with a report from Benjamin Pulta/PNA)

Popular

AFP: VP security group reorganized, not disbanded

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) clarified that the Vice Presidential Security and Protection Group (VPSPG)...

Myanmar quake death toll passes 3,300: state media

By Agence France-Presse The death toll from a major earthquake in Myanmar has risen above 3,300, state media said Saturday (April 5), as the United...

Filipinos nabbed in China ordinary citizens with no military training

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency The National Security Council (NSC) has expressed alarm over the arrest of three Filipino nationals for...

PH Contingent lends helping hand on rescue, medical ops in quake-hit Myanmar

By Brian Jules Campued The Philippine Inter-Agency Humanitarian Contingent (PIAHC) on Friday continued to assist in rescue and medical operations in Myanmar as the Southeast...