PH working on release of 9 Filipinos held captive by Houthis—DFA

Department of Foreign Affairs (Photo courtesy of DFA / PNA)

By Joyce Ann Rocamora | Philippine News Agency

The Philippine government is exhausting all efforts to secure the release of nine Filipino crew members of the ill-fated MV Eternity C currently held captive by the Houthis, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said on Wednesday.

Foreign Affairs Undersecretary Eduardo Jose de Vega said “all indications” are pointing that they are in Sanaa, inland Yemen, “at hands of Houthis.”

“Our Honorary Consul in Yemen has been assured they are well. He is working to see them—We are working for their release, with the help of friendly governments,” he said in a text message.

The vessel was carrying 22 crew members, 21 of whom are Filipinos, when it was attacked by drones and rocket-propelled grenades launched by Iran-backed Houthi militants off the coast of Yemen.

On July 16, eight of the Filipino crew were repatriated to the Philippines.

Earlier this year, the Houthis released 17 Filipino seafarers from another ship, the MV Galaxy Leader, after holding them hostage for at least 14 months.

The release was made possible with the successful mediation efforts by the government of Oman following the ceasefire deal between Hamas and Israel—the condition required by the Houthi captors of the Galaxy Leader crew at that time. (PNA)

Popular

NMC backs DND over infra works, dev’t in West PH Sea features

By Brian Campued The National Maritime Council (NMC) on Saturday expressed support for the Department of National Defense (DND) for its rejection of recent statements...

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...