Phivolcs lowers Taal Volcano status to Alert Level 1

By Gabriela Baron

The Philippine Institute of Volcanology (Phivolcs) on Monday, July 11, lowered the status of Taal Volcano to Alert Level 1.

Citing a decline in volcanic earthquakes, ground deformation, and volcanic emission, Taal Volcano was downgraded from Alert Level 2 to Alert Level 1, indicating low-level unrest.

State volcanologists also observed weak emission of 300- to 2,400-meter stall steam-rich plumes from fumaroles or active gas vents on the main crater of the volcano.

However, Phivolcs stressed that Alert Level 1 means that the volcano is “still in abnormal condition and should not be interpreted that unrest has ceased or that the threat of an eruption has disappeared.”

“Should an uptrend or pronounced change in monitored parameters forewarn of renewed unrest, the Alert Level may be raised back to Alert Level 2,” the agency said.

“Residents of areas at high risk to base surges who have returned after the step-down to Alert Level 2 or 23 July must therefore remain vigilant and always prepared for a quick and organized evacuation,” it added.

At Alert Level 1, sudden steam-driven or phreatic explosions, volcanic earthquakes, minor ashfall, and lethal accumulations or expulsions of volcanic gas may still occur and threaten areas within Taal Volcano Island (TVI).

Entry into TVI, Taal’s Permanent Danger Zone, and the vicinities of the main crater and the Daang Kastila fissure is still prohibited.

“Local government units are advised to continuously assess previously evacuated barangays around Taal Lake for damages and road accessibilities and to strengthen preparedness, contingency, and communication measures in case of renewed unrest,” Phivolcs said.

“People are also advised to observe precautions due to ground displacement across fissures, possible ashfall and minor earthquakes,” it added.

Meanwhile, pilots are still cautioned against flying close to the volcano as airborne ash and ballistic fragments from sudden explosions and wind-remobilized ash may pose hazards to aircrafts.

Popular

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...