Pinoy boxer to fight Venezuelan for Interim OPBF title

DAVAO CITY — Hard punching Jelbirt Gomera of the Philippines will fight the undefeated Omrri “El Rayo” Bolivar of Venezuela for the interim OPBF featherweight title on November 10 at the Puerto Princesa City Coliseum in Palawan.

The Gomera-Bolivar title-fight is one of the four championships in the boxing card of the annual 55th Oriental and Pacific Boxing Federation (OPBF) Convention slated on November 9-12.

The 12-rounder championship is promoted by international promoter Brico Santig of Highland Boxing Promotion.

The 25-year-old Gomera (12W-4L-0D, 6 KOs) won his last fight at the Puerto Princesa City Coliseum via unanimous decision against Eduardo Mancito to capture the vacant Philippine Boxing Federation (PBF) featherweight title last December 3.

But Gomera lost his last three fights including his battle for the vacant OPBF super bantamweight crown by a unanimous decision against Hidenori Otake last March 17 at the Korakuen Hall in Japan.

Gomera, a native of General Santos City, also bowed to Korean Nam Joo Lee by a unanimous decision in Suncheon, South Korea last June 24 before he suffered another setback in his previous fight by a majority decision to Michael Escobia last September 2 in Tayug.

Bolivar is still unbeaten with five straight wins and three knockouts. He won his last two fights both by technical knockouts last year.

Bolivar first TKO’d Filipino Gerry Patenio in the first round only in Bacolod City then stopped Indonesian Ricky Manufoe also in the opening round at the Yong Chan Arena in Chong Qing, China.

“Bolivar is a dangerous fighter. But Gomera is a tough and more experienced boxer,” said Santig. (Lito delos Reyes/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...