Pinoys in Japan told to remain vigilant after 6.7 quake

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora/Philippine News Agency

MANILA — Filipinos in Japan are urged to closely monitor announcements and instructions from local authorities after a magnitude 6.7 earthquake jolted the country on Tuesday night.

The powerful quake hit Yamagata Prefecture in northern Japan at around 10:30 p.m., Japan time. According to Embassy records, there are at least 815 registered Filipino in the area.

“We also got info from local news late this morning that while there were some injuries, thankfully there weren’t any fatalities. So far no one has reached out to us for help,” Consul General to Tokyo Robespierre Bolivar told the Philippine News Agency (PNA) on Wednesday.

The Japan Meteorological Agency earlier issued a tsunami alert for Yamagata Prefecture, as well as coastal areas in Niigata and Ishikawa Prefectures following the quake, which was eventually lifted at around 1 a.m. the following day.

Prior to this, railway services have been partly suspended and many households remained without power.

Bolivar assured the Embassy is ready to provide assistance as it closely monitors the situation and the well-being of Filipinos in the area.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...