PNP-ACG raises caution amid rise in voyeurism cases

Photo courtesy of PNP-ACG

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency

The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Tuesday raised the alarm over rising cases of voyeurism this year.

In a press briefing held in Camp Crame, PNP Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG) spokesperson and cyber response unit director, PCOL. Jay Guillermo said 316 cases of photo and video voyeurism were logged from January to Nov. 21 this year, compared to 279 cases in the same period last year.

These cases, he said, involve individuals recording persons during sexual activity without their consent.

The Anti-Photo and Video Voyeurism Act, or Republic Act 9995, prohibits taking, reproducing, selling, distributing, or publishing photos or videos of individuals engaging in sexual activity without consent.

Guillermo noted that based on the ACG’s observations, individuals aged 25 to 40 are the ones frequently involved in voyeurism cases while victims are as young as 16 years old.

“Technology enables them to record it. It seems like these materials become something that has sentimental value for them. Because of curiosity and the availability of technology, these persons discover something in these activities and are not aware that this activity has harmful effects,” he added.

Guillermo said Filipino users must be cautious with their data, “especially in the digital age.”

“Any information that is mishandled, especially your name, can be dangerous. It can be used in fraudulent activities. How much more about these videos where we see activities of two people that can tarnish their names and reputation?” he added.

He cautioned netizens to avoid sending explicit photos or videos to anyone and refrain from engaging in sexual activities during video calls, which can be recorded and later used to blackmail or exploit them.

On Monday, ACG operatives from the Northern Police District arrested a man in an entrapment in Caloocan City on Monday evening for voyeurism.

The operation stemmed from the suspect’s ex-girlfriend, whom he allegedly blackmailed by threatening to release her private photos on social media platforms unless she met with him.

The suspect faces complaints of grave coercion and violations of the Anti-Photo and Video Voyeurism Act, the Anti-Violence against Women Act, and the Cybercrime Prevention Act.

“Those found guilty of coercion and blackmail can face significant fines and imprisonment. Let us all stand against such harmful behavior and protect the rights and dignity of every individual,” Guillermo said.

Popular

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...