PNP chief to poll bets: ‘Follow MMDA’s weekday ban on caravans’

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency

MANILA – Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Dionardo Carlos urged candidates to observe campaign guidelines, particularly the Metro Manila Development Authority’s (MMDA) directive prohibiting caravans in major thoroughfares on weekdays.

He said scheduling arrangements will be convenient for the motorists and commuters who are rushing to and from their destinations on weekdays.

“I hope that the candidates and their supporters will understand that they should not be the cause of delay for the general public,” Carlos said in a statement on Saturday (Feb. 12) night.

Carlos, however, agreed with the MMDA’s policy that campaign caravans should only be allowed on weekends and holidays in Metro Manila.

“This will be practical since lesser volume of vehicles are out on the streets,” he said.

He added that the PNP will assist in whatever possible way to ensure the smooth flow of traffic for the benefit of the people.

“May we also remind them to get the necessary permit from the LGU (local government unit) concerned whenever they want to conduct a motorcade or caravan,” he said.

The 86-day campaign period for candidates seeking national elective positions started on Feb. 8.

10 candidates are running for president while nine bets are vying for the vice presidential seat.

64 senatorial aspirants will be vying for 12 senatorial seats while there are 178 party-list candidates.

The campaign period for local candidates — which includes members of the House of Representatives, and elective provincial, city, and municipal officials — will officially kick off on Mar. 25. (PNA) – bny

 

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...