PNP gets new protective equipment from Japan

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan/PNA

MANILA — The Japanese government on Tuesday donated new protective equipment to the Philippine National Police (PNP).

Japanese Ambassador to Manila Koji Haneda formally handed over the equipment donation to PNP chief, Director General Oscar Albayalde in a ceremony at the PNP headquarters in Camp Crame, Quezon City.

The donation includes six new units of bomb suit, six units of ballistic shield and 440 units of ballistics helmet under Japan’s Grant Aid for Economic and Social Development Program worth 500 million yen (PHP236.5 million), which consistently supports the PNP in its counter-terrorism campaign and public safety service.

Albayalde said bomb suits and ballistic shields will be issued to Explosive Ordinance Detection Units in order to protect themselves during bomb threat response operations and other related incidents.

He added ballistics helmets will be given to police units which handle internal security and anti-terrorism operations to ensure their personal safety.

Last year, the PNP received the bulk of the aid package consisting of police mobile assets that are now being used by line units in field operations.

“All this donated equipment will certainly go a long way in enhancing police capability in addressing security issues and threats to public safety,” Albayalde said.

Haneda, meanwhile, lauded the PNP for showing great pride and passion to make a headway for more successful operations in various capacity on drug enforcement, counter-terrorism, VIP securities, community engagements, and others.

“I hope that the bomb suits, ballistic shields and helmets we will turn over today (Tuesday) will further build up the defenses of PNP personnel nationwide in their relentless bid to curb terrorist acts and illegal drug abuse. I salute the PNP’s valiant men and women in uniform who risk their lives to the call of duty,” Haneda said in his speech.

The Japanese envoy said the PNP should take pride in the fact that it has accomplished a great deal in terms of counter-terrorism and drug enforcement operations, adding that Tokyo will continuously extend assistance to Manila in this campaign.

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...