PNP: Metro Manila’s shift to Alert level 4 ‘generally peaceful’

The first day of the pilot implementation of the alert level system with granular lockdowns in the National Capital Region (NCR) has been “generally peaceful,” according to the Philippine National Police (PNP).

PNP chief Gen. Guillermo Eleazar urged the public in the Sept. 16 Palace briefing to cooperate through complying with minimum public health standards.

Eleazar said they have refocused their personnel deployment which was previously focused on quarantine checkpoints, in line with the shift to the new system which permits more economic activities and establishments to operate. 

“Hindi na po doon ang kanilang focus ngayon. Ito po ay nandoon na sa mga lugar kung saan marami ang ating mga kababayan dahil marami na tayong permitted industries,” he said.

“Para naman doon sa mga identified na lugar na placed under granular lockdown, nandoon po ang ating pulis pinangungunahan kasama ang iba pang force multiplier o barangay tanod ng naturang lugar,” he added. 

The official said there are 54 areas under granular lockdown as of Sept. 15, or a day before the shift began. 

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the start of the new quarantine system will improve Metro Manila’s COVID-19 situation amid its economic reopening through containing transmission in specific areas. 

President Rodrigo Duterte reminded the public in his latest public address that COVID-19 cases are increasing nationwide, and asked anew to “exercise the precautionary measures, washing, distancing, and wearing the masks.”

 

Vaccination continues 

The government said 40,030,388 COVID-19 vaccine doses have been administered as of Sept. 15, including 22,354,429 first doses and 17,675,959 second doses. 

National Task Force (NTF) Against COVID-19 chief implementer and vaccine czar Carlito Galvez Jr. said more supplies are expected to be delivered in the coming days. 

“Nagkaroon na po ng official pronouncement ang WHO [World Health Organization] for additional delivery of 10 million doses of Pfizer,” he said. – Report from Mela Lesmoras/AG-rir

Watch full report here:

Popular

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...