PNP: P300-M seized in POGO ops in Las Piñas, Pampanga intact

PBGen. Jean Fajardo, PNP spokesperson (Photo courtesy of PNP/Facebook)

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency

The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Monday said the more than P300 million cash seized during separate operations against Philippine offshore gaming operator (POGO) hubs in Las Piñas City and Pampanga are intact.

PNP information chief and spokesperson PBGEN. Jean Fajardo made the assurance after some reports alleged that the money confiscated are already unaccounted for.

In a press briefing at Camp Crame, Fajardo said the multi-million cash is under police custody and heavily guarded, but emphasized that the police are ready to comply with any court order as to where they would be turned over.

“There is no truth to the malicious reports that the money is missing. These are considered fruits of the crime so the case is pending and the PNP would comply with competent courts as to the proper disposal of these seized evidence. If the court would say that these should be turned over to the Department of Justice, the PNP is more than willing to turn over these. If the court would issue orders to return the money, then the PNP will comply,” Fajardo told reporters when sought for comment.

Fajardo said the misinformation on the seized money at the two illegal POGO hubs is possibly meant to muddle the issue on the anti-illegal POGO operation in Malate, Manila last month.

“The money is intact. It just so happened there are efforts to muddle the issue of our legitimate operation against Vertex Technologies,” she said.

Based on the PNP report, P187.82 million were seized during the operation at the Clark Freeport POGO hub in May last year, while P117.18 million were seized during the operation on a POGO hub in Las Piñas City in July, also last year.

Meanwhile, the Vertex Technology operation last month became controversial over various allegations of wrongdoings of policemen.

The heads of the National Capital Region Police Office and the PNP’s Anti-Cybercrime Group were already administratively relieved for 10 days to give way to the conduct of an impartial investigation.

Popular

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...

Russian vlogger harassing Filipinos nabbed

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Authorities arrested a Russian-American vlogger who was accused of harassing Filipinos apparently for social media content. Philippine National...

Myanmar quake victim rescued after 5 days as aid calls grow

By Agence France-Presse Rescuers on Wednesday, April 2, pulled a man alive from the rubble five days after Myanmar's devastating earthquake, as calls grew for...